Posted by Steve Hester on Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Hester Painting & Decorating Helps Homeowners Prep for Summer
SKOKIE, Ill. (April 27, 2011) – With Memorial Day, sun and good company edging near, Midwest homeowners are actively readying their decks for summer use. “Homeowners who maintain their decks and patios preserve its durability and quality,” said Jeff Hester, vice president of Hester Painting & Decorating. Hester, a.k.a. Professor Paint, and his team of experts in exterior maintenance have the following advice for homeowners eager to get their decks in tiptop shape for outdoor entertaining:
- Start with the house: Work from the top of the house’s exterior to the bottom. Remove debris in the gutters, clean the windows and make sure all paint, brick and siding are in good condition.
- Examine hardware: Nails and screws come loose and corrode throughout the winter months. If ignored, the structure can become unstable. Be proactive and tighten or replace loose hardware.
- Wash the deck: Clear large debris from the deck. After leaves and sticks are removed, use a mild detergent and a power washer or high-pressure hose to get rid of grime and dirt. Let the clean deck dry for at least 24 hours before restaining or resealing.
- Reseal, Restain or Repaint: Choose a reputable brand, such as Benjamin Moore, and follow the manufacturer’s directions. Make sure to coat the railing and steps, too.
- Spice it up: Add to the appeal of the outdoor space by including potted flowers or updating landscaping. Consider changing the umbrella and rearranging the furniture. Don’t forget to stock the fire pit with wood and load the grill with charcoal for the first cookout of the season.
Founded more than forty years ago, Hester Painting & Decorating became one of the first Chicagoland firms to receive EPA lead-certification in 2010. Hester Painting & Decorating provides homes and high-profile commercial establishments with high-end decorating services. Widely regarded as a leader in the fields of painting, faux finishing, and exterior and interior maintenance, Hester Painting & Decorating utilizes an enormous repertoire of finishes and wall covering techniques to create unique environments for its clients. More information about franchising opportunities and other services offered by Hester Painting & Decorating is available at (847) 677-5130 or http://www.hesterdecorating.com.